Wenger makes shock revelation over key star duo: If they want to go to China, they can goPublished December 16, 2016
Arsene Wenger has admitted that he won’t stand in the way of star duo Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil if they want to leave the club for China.
Both players have just 18 months to run on their current deals, and despite negotiations being under way with the two respective camps, no agreement has yet been found with either party.
The case of key attacker Sanchez is perhaps most pressing, with the Chilean drawing admiring glances from the likes of Manchester City and Juventus as he ponders his next career step.
Arsenal have offered around £180,000 per week in wages to the energetic forward, who has shone so far this campaign in the lone striker role, in an attempt to get him to commit to an extended deal, but it is understood that Sanchez is holding out for a much higher figure of £250,000.
Wenger on Sanchez having a offer from China: "I believe it yes, why not? But why should you go to China today when you play in England?"— Mattias Karén (@MattiasKaren) December 8, 2016
Midfielder Ozil, meanwhile, is reportedly keen to pocket a similar amount from any contract renewal, however, at this point it seems unlikely that the Emirates outfit will be able to stretch to meet the costly demands.
If no agreement can be reached with either player, then the Gunners may choose to cash in over the summer instead of risking losing key assets for nothing at the end of the 2017/18 season.
And manager Arsene Wenger has insisted that although Arsenal fans have no reason to worry at the moment, the players will get the final say over their situation, and moves to China are not out of the realm of possibility.
“There’s 18 months left, no reason to worry,” he said.
“Maybe you need more creativity in newspapers.”
“If people want to go to China, they go to China. I have completely different worries today ahead of City game,” he said.
“I think I closed that subject, there is nothing more to add.”