Wayne Rooney could be set for a dramatic return to Goodison Park in January, with Everton boss Ronald Koeman reportedly considering a move for the veteran star and Memphis Depay as part of a double swoop on Manchester United.
A barren run of one win in 10 has led the Dutchman to plot major surgery to his underperforming squad during the winter window- and ex-Toffee Rooney is believed to be one of the players targeted as part of a big-money spending spree.
The Daily Express claims that Koeman will move for the 32-year-old and Memphis Depay as part of an attacking reshuffle, with the former Southampton boss also known to be a huge admirer of Red Devils midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin.
Everton are interested in #mufc duo Memphis Depay and Wayne Rooney. [The Sunday Express]— UtdHQ (@UtdHQ) December 4, 2016
Desiring up to four signings in January, reinforcements to compliment the overburdened Romelu Lukaku are considered a must by the Dutchman after a run of just seven goals in their last eight Premier League matches.
A move for Rooney has long been touted both locally and nationally, and as the Liverpool-born hitman seemingly comes to the end of his time at Old Trafford, Koeman recently stoked the fires over a return for the former Blue.
“I do not know how his situation is, and I need to respect that situation,” he said. “That’s not my problem.
“But even when we get one time the possibility that Rooney is an option for Everton, I’m very pleased.”
“He is a great player, and he has still not finished his career.”
Dutch international Memphis Depay meanwhile, is another who the Everton manager has a confirmed interest in, with Koeman having failed with a bid for the 22-year-old United misfit during his time at Southampton.
“If there is any opportunity then of course I’m interested,” said the Toffees boss last month,
“I was interested at Southampton- that has not changed. We have to be patient but we will do business in January.”
Sources close to Manchester United claim that a deal to take the pacey winger to Goodison Park is already nearing completion, however, AS Roma also hold an interest in the player and could trump Everton should Jose Mourinho favour sending the player abroad.
Sunderland’s Lamine Kone, towering Hoffenheim centre-back Niklas Sule and young Ajax striker Kasper Dolberg are all also under consideration as part of an expected squad overhaul.