The eSports Betting Bonanza
eSports betting in the next big thing – that’s official. The latest figures clearly show that eSports are not only the world’s fastest growing sports, but they are also the fastest growing betting sports. By 2020, global betting turnover on eSports is predicted to be in excess of £15 billion.
Bookmakers are now striving to offer as many betting options on as many eSports as possible. Now, the term eSports encompasses a wide range of games but the most popular in terms of wagering and viewership are DOTA 2, LoL (League of Legends) and CS:GO (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive).
But some online eSports betting bookmakers, the bigger ones such as bet365, are offering betting markets on many other eSports such as Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, Rocket League, World of Tanks, Smite, Hearthstone, Heroes of Warcraft and Starcraft II.
Generally speaking you can watch all major games live online at Twitch TV and many bookmakers also offer live streaming of games. This opens up the doors of opportunity for ‘in-play’ wagering which reportedly accounts for almost half of all the eSports bets placed.
Another interesting stat is the popularity of eSports betting in central Europe. Four bets out of every ten come from bettors in Germany. Similarly Austrian punters account for 15% of betting turnover and Holland, one of the smallest countries in Europe, contributes over 12% of the money wagered on eSports.
Interestingly only 2% of all European betting turnover on eSports originates from the UK. That number will doubtlessly rise and if you are one of the punters that intends to help buoy eSports betting from the UK, here’s a few helpful eSports betting tips.
- Watch plenty of eSports before taking your first steps into eSports betting.
- Decide which game offers what you want. Some are fast, furious and high scoring (akin to Basketball), others are slower (not quite like Cricket).
- Start by placing only small bets on eSports especially while you are on a ‘learning curve’.
- Shop around for the best eSports odds amongst a number of sportsbooks – there are often huge discrepancies.
- Be sure to consider ‘bet to lay’ angles. Prices can shift quickly and dramatically in-play, so consider placing your bets with a sportsbook that will allow you to ‘cash-out’ your eSports bets in-running.
- Do not simply look at the traditional win markets. eSports betting offers include plenty of betting markets such as ‘handicaps’, ‘Totals’ and ‘Correct Scores’.
- Keep a good eye out for roster news (team news) on Twitter and official team sites. Just like football, if key players are benched there could be some betting value to be had.
- As with the rest of the betting world, there are also eSport free bets. So be sure to ctach one when you want to start betting.